** Please Note**
I have put a lot of thought and consideration into my words for this blog.
I pour out my heart and soul for you to read, learn and share about the ongoings in my families life.
I love that you like to share my words and blog so all I ask in return is that if you use my words, parts of my blog or entire posts to share via social media or anywhere that you give me a shout out and acknowledge that you are using MY words and maybe even include a link to the blog.
Thank you all for taking the time to read, learn and share my blog I really appreciate the compliments too and love knowing that I am reaching people near and far. I hope that you continue to enjoy my blog.

K

Tuesday 25 February 2014

Letter P ( A to Z of CF 2014)

 P is for Portal Hypertension. 

Cadel was diagnosed with Portal Hypertension in his liver late last year and it is all relatively new to us so here is a definition I have sourced to help you understand but first I must remind you that Cadel was diagnosed with CF related liver disease. 

**taken from childrenshospital.org

Obstruction of the portal vein – caused primarily by clots in or narrowing of the vein before it reaches the liver, cirrhosis, or high pressure in the veins that drain the liver into the heart – can cause the pressure in the vein to build up, much as blocking the end of a hose causes the pressure in the hose to climb. Increased portal vein pressure – known medically as portal hypertension – causes blood to back up in the organs that send blood to the liver. The body tries to relieve the pressure by generating new blood vessels that bypass the blockage, but such vessels are often weak and twisted, and tend to bleed easily. These vessels, called varices, may also bypass the liver itself, allowing toxins and nutrients to travel through the bloodstream unprocessed.**
 

So to see what is going on with Cadel's portal hypertension he will undergo an endoscopy to see the extent of the portal hypertension and if there are any bleeds they will be banded to cut that supply of blood off. This will have to monitored closely and is just another part of Cadel's unique condition that makes him special to not just us but the Dr's that treat him too!!

K



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to not only read my blog but also to comment.
K