** Please Note**
I have put a lot of thought and consideration into my words for this blog.
I pour out my heart and soul for you to read, learn and share about the ongoings in my families life.
I love that you like to share my words and blog so all I ask in return is that if you use my words, parts of my blog or entire posts to share via social media or anywhere that you give me a shout out and acknowledge that you are using MY words and maybe even include a link to the blog.
Thank you all for taking the time to read, learn and share my blog I really appreciate the compliments too and love knowing that I am reaching people near and far. I hope that you continue to enjoy my blog.

K

Friday 3 January 2014

True Christmas Superhero!

So Cadel got a major infection in his port-a-cath just days before Christmas. We were faced once again with having yet another Christmas Day in hospital but the quick thinking staff who are more then aware of how much time Cadel has spent in the hospital put an action plan into place straight away. Their actions allowed us to be all together on Christmas morning, at home, with a nurse coming to administer his daily drugs. 

While it wasn't the Christmas we were dreaming off, we weren't waking up in different places on Christmas morning. We had planned on visiting my family 4 hours away and for almost a week we would stay there, relaxing and spending time with family and enjoying the town I grew up in, including enjoying the salty air and rejuvenating nature of the beach. We were all so excited about it and had planned activities and had talked about it for weeks and when Cadel was firstly admitted and then discharged and had to stay at home we were all very sad and disappointed. Then we realized that it would be just the five of us at home and we would have to have our own little Christmas, this party planning addict got a little excited.  We went and salvaged what was left in the shops for our Christmas table. We started to plan our menu and we all were excited about Christmas once more. 

Although we all missed being surrounded by family we facetimed and had several phone calls and messages back and forth to keep connected through out the day. We made up some new little traditions for our family and we had a good day and created some great family memories. I'm sure the kids will look back in the years to come and laugh at the silly photos we took and reminisce about how much they enjoyed the Bon Bon crackers and loved the silly glasses that adorned their place setting along with Christmas lights on the table! I'm sure they will not look back in regret as we were all together and not cramped up in a hospital room. 

Although a big low point in the day would have to be holding down Cadel on the kitchen bench while a new needle was placed into his port as it wasn't working very well, I couldn't help but think of the poor nurse who was actually doing the procedure. I'm sure it wasn't what she had envisioned for her Christmas day either. 

They are true heroes, nurses. Here is this women driving around to several patients throughout the day administering medications and doing observations. The super hero in civilian clothes also came bearing gifts for Cadel and his brother and sister from the Hospital In The Home team. How special, we also made sure that we had a tiny gift of gratitude of a box of chocolates for her to munch on as she drove around to all her patients throughout the day. I hope that she got to go home to a cooked Christmas dinner and was surrounded by her family who truly appreciate how much her job means to family like ours. 

I would also like to impart on you to never take your health or your families health for granted. Appreciate what you have and yes sometimes our families can drive us all a little bat crazy with their little annoying habits but spare a thought for those who me included wanted nothing more to be surrounded by my family but for unseen circumstances it didn't happen. Yes my family will 'redo' Christmas but you can't 'redo' the real magic that happens on Christmas Day. 

From me and my family, we hope you all had a great Christmas and wish you all a big stack of health, wealth and happiness for 2014 and beyond. May you forever have fun in your own bubble. 

K

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad to know that Cadel and his family had another great Christmas together,
    And not in the hospital. It is so good to have the modern technology to enable online
    get-togethers when families can't be together physically.
    Those nurses are real heroes, and I'm sure that get a lot out of the good that they do
    for others.
    Has Cadel's prognosis improved?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cfgrandma, it is so fantastic what technology has done to help bridge the gap between loved ones!
      The nurses are as always fantastic and you can tell that they love what they do and have such passion for their jobs.
      Cadel's prognosis has improved. With every breath he takes he proves the Drs wrong. He is doing really well and keeping healthy. He has well exceeded their expectations for him as they didn't think he would be here with us right now. His strong will, determination and love of life drives us all as he shows us how to enjoy every moment.
      Thanks for taking the time to read my blog and even more specifically to leave a comment.
      K

      Delete
  2. I'm glad his prognosis is better. He is a little fighter, and so is his whole family!
    I hope things go well with him now, you all deserve some smooth sailing for awhile.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to not only read my blog but also to comment.
K